Yana:The Movement

Each Generation Leaves Its Own Imprints On The Definition Of Art.The Fate Of Ours Lies On Our Imagination And How We Present It.Art Does Not Only Serve As The Key To Immortality,It Is Also The Mouthpiece Of A Generation And A Vessel Through Which Culture Is Passed On To Posterity..It Is Only After Studying This Phenomena That You Can Agree With Me When I Say That Some People Live To Be The Testament That Indeed Our Bodies Are The Temple Of GOD Whose Presence Is Manifested Through Our Ability To Create  And Instill A Sense Of Purpose On Those Around Us.I,The One Who Got Art At Heart Was Given The Opportunity To Explore The Mastermind Of A Revolutionary Dancer Bogadi Tatyana Makuku,Who Is The Epitome Of What An Avant Gardist Is.
Q;For Those Who Are Keen To Know About You Besides Your Movement Can You Please Introduce Yourself By Making A Quick Synopsis Of Who You Are And Where You Hail From?

A;My Name Is Bogadi Tatyana Makuku,Although I Grew Up In A Lot Of Places Im From Mahalapye And Im 25 Years Old.I Attended One School In South Africa But I Finished My High School Here And Did My Bachelor Of Finance Degree.So After Getting My Degree Thats When I Decided To Follow My Passion Since I Already Made My Parents Happy With It.

Q;How Did You Get Exposed To Dancing And At What Point Did You Start Developing Interest In It?
A;I Have Been Dancing My Whole Life,I Was That Little Kid Who Was Always Called Upon By My Parents To Dance For Them.They Were Always Like 'Titty Tla O Re Binele'.Above All That Im Self Taught,I Learnt A Lot Of Things From Youtube And Everytime I Get Inspired By Someone I Always Ask Them For A Class.It Was After Varsity That I Started To Train With Professional Creatives Like Somizi,Mophato Dance Theatre And Battery Dance From America Who Taught Me Contemporary And Other Important Things.But Whenever I Have A Chance I Dance With With Whoever Is Willing To Teach Me.

Q;How Did You Start Exercising Your Intuition,That Is Visualizing Your Path And Practically Putting Everything Together To Get Your Movement Started In A Professional Manner?
A;In This Country What Qualifies You To Be A Professional Is Your Training And The Amount Of Performances You Have Done.Its Just Based On Your Track Record.But Coming Up With The Movement,It Started Off With My Friends,They Were Always Like 'Your Body Looks So Nice,How Do You Stay Like That?.So When The Class Started It Was Just Me And My Friends.We Then Later Uploaded Everything On Social Media And Multitudes Showed Interest,Thats When I Was Like Mmm,Actually This Could Be A Really Cool Business.

Q;What Is The Inspiration Behind Your Brands Name,And The Philosophy That Governs It?
A;My Second Name Is Tatyana So Thats Where That 'YANA' Came From.Im Called Titty At Home And Yana In The Dance Floor But I Dont Want To Limit Myself And Confine Myself In The Dance World,I Want To Create A Whole Movement .I Dance,Im Into Fitness And Lifestyle.I Want To Change The Game,Im Creating An Array  Of Brands .Initially It Was Named 'Yanas Movement',But I Then Changed To 'Yana;The Movement' To Show How Diverse It Is.

Q;Was It Designed As A Response To Woman Empowerment Since Its Like A Platform Reserved For Females ONLY?
A;[Chuckles],Another Thing That Inspired Me Is That After Varsity People Just Give Up On Many Things And Think About Finding A Job,Paying Bills But I Was Like NO,Come On Ladies,Lets Unite,Be Strong,Dance And Have Fun Together.Its Our Feminity Lets Carry That On,There Is No Need For Us To Stop.Its Ok For Us To Have Fun And Still Go To Work,Its Ok For Us To Have Fun And Still Be Mothers.So Yeah Definitely About Women Empowerment But In A While I Have A Class For Males.

Q;How Do You Keep On Honing Your Multi tasking Skills Especially During The Most Depressing Times?
A;Honestly Speaking I Just Dont Know How I Manage To Juggle All This,But I Dont Sleep Much And Its All About Finding A Balance.Right Now I Work,Employed As Part Of Senior Management As An Underwriter,So There Is Too Much Work .I Work From 8-8.I Never Leave The Office At Five Until Maybe 1900 0r 2000.After That I Have To Rush Home And Start Working On Choreography,Then I Gotta Do My Daily Chores.One Other Thing I Do Is Slotting Each Thing I Do For A Certain Day.

Q;Have You Ever Considered Tapping On The Corporate World,Performing At Functions And Doing Commercials As A Boost To Your Movement Or You Just Prefer It Remaining As An Indoor Thing?
A;I've Thought About It,Its Not Easy To Get People Who Will Know Your Worth And Take Your Craft Seriously.Its Really A Struggle But I've Decided That Im Just Gonna Push My Own Brand And Whoever Bites It Will Have A Bite.Basically Im Baking A PiE And Whoever Wanna Take A PiEce Will Take One.I've Done A Flash Mob For A Company Before,They Approached Me But The Problem With Most Is That When You Send Them A Qoute They Dont Respond.They Talk About How Expensive I Am But The Thing Is ,Im A Dancer And If You Want Me To Hire Other Dancers To Do A Commercial For You,Im Not Gonna Do It If I Cant Pay My Choreographer,Videographer And For Our Outfits.Many People Are Knocking At My Door Maybe The Reason Why You Havent Seen Any Is That I Wont Sell Myself Short.

Q;Many People Are Complaining About The Content That Is Being Aired By Our National Tv,Dont You Think That Your Movement Can Shift The Paradigm Since It Already Resonates With Many?
A;It Would Really Be Amazing,I Have Been Approached By Someone To Do A Pilot For A Tv Show,There Is Something That Me And My Friend Have Shot And Its Still Not On Tv[Chuckles],So I Dont Know Who Is Responsible For Putting Things On Tv,But If That Person Can Contact Me Personally Then Im Down.But In The Mean Time Im Gonna Use What I Have Which Is Social Media.Do You Know Expensive It Is To Shoot This Things And We Shoot Them From The Expense Of Our Own POCKETS And Then They Dont See The Light Of The Day When You Submit Them.So Its Only A Matter Of Time Someone Will Bite And Put The Show On Tv,Hopefully In Jesus Name Amen.I Just Gotta Push My Brand.

Q;Was The Movement Started By You Alone Or You Partnered With Other Choreographers And Creatives Beyond The Dance Spectrum?
A;YANA Is Solely Mine,But When I Do Gigs I Invite My Friends In The Industry.If Someone Is Interested In Contemporary Dance I Choose The Best Contemporary Choreographer,If Its Afro Beats Then I Feel Like Im The Best To Do It.I Always Want The Best For Each Show.Everything I Do Is Shot By Enclave Media,An Amazing Media Company Which Does Ads For Big Companies Actually They Are My Friends,We Grew Up Together.

Q;If Someone Wants To Offer Some Assistance In What Way Can They Do It And What Channels Should They Follow?
A;I Am Open To Any Idea From Anybody Who Wanna Offer Some Help.Im Very Social,So My Facebook Page And Instagram Are Good Sites For Anyone To Send A Message To Me.I Will Respond To Every Call.My Number Is ON My Facebook Wall.

Q;For Those Who Want To Join Your Movement ,Whats Your Word To Them And Please Shed Some Light On The Significance Of Being A Part Of Yana.
A;YANA Is For The Fit,Fun Young Girls Or Ladies Who Just Love To Dance And Dont Necessarily Want To Make It A Career .Everybody Is Welcome And I Do Registration Via My Social Sites You Just Have To Contact Me,There Aint No Prerequisite Skill.I Charge P50.00 For My Classes Which Are Held On Saturdays From 1400 T0 1600 Super Fit,Molapo Crossing.Days And Themes Are Always Posted On The Page At The Beginning Of Each Month.

Q;Whats Your Word To People Who Think That Modern Dance Decays Our Moral Fibre?
A;You Know What,I Used To Get Scared To Post Certain Things.But Then I Realised That Beyond The Fear I Just Dont Know Why Im Passionate About What Im Passionate About.Another Person Is Passionate About Being A Doctor,What Really Is That Thing Thats Inside Us That Fuels Our Passion?.So I Think It Is Not Fair On My Side If I Stop Doing What I Wanna Do Just Because Of Someone's Morals/Principles.So Personally I Dont Think There Is Nothing Wrong With It,So Im Gonna Do It Just The Way Somebody Feels Like There Is Nothing Wrong With Being A Doctor.

Q;On Closing It Off Tell Us What To Be On The Lookout For,Your Merchandise And Social Media Handles.
A;The Yana Merchandise Is Exclusive To My Regular Members.I Dont Sell Any They Are A 'Thank You To The Regulars'.But Im Brewing Something In The Background,There Is A Whole Line Of Parole Coming Up.I Dont Want To Give Away The Label Will Speak For Itself.It Will Drop Sometime Next Year.There Is A Line Exclusive To Dancers Which Will Be Open Be Open For The General Public Soon.

*A YouTube Channel Is Coming Soon.So Its Hectic I Have To Work,Thats The Challenge We Face As Creatives In Botswana,You Just Cant Do Dance Alone.Thats Why I Decided That Im Gonna Get A Job And Finance My Dream.I Did That Because Youth Funds Are So Hard To Get*

Facebook And Instagram;Yana;The Movement

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1.4 MILLION VIEWS ON YOUTUBE! VEE - DUMALANA!!

BOTSWANA HOSTS THE "N W Y C 2 0 1 7"

BLOOMING OBLIVION ( A Thought Piece)